A hybrid version of the Porsche 911 GT3 has finished third in class in its race debut in the VLN Nürburgring long-distance race championship. The race meeting was part of preparations for the Nürburgring 24 hour race in June.

The hybrid 911, first seen last year, has been developed into a 'version 2.0' which is lighter and more powerful.

“We’ve made huge strides forward with the further-developed 911 GT3 R Hybrid. But testing under race conditions gives us additional information that is not easy to collect during a simulation,” says Hartmut Kristen, head of Porsche Motorsport. “We’ll use the information gained from the VLN races to make our racing lab even more reliable and economical.”


The layout of the 2011 hybrid is similar to that of the 2010 car, but the 911's weight has been cut from 1350kg to 1300kg. The weight of the flywheel hybrid system has been reduced by 20%.

The output of the two electric motors which drive the front wheels has been increased from 60kW to 75kW each, giving the driver a 200hp boost for a limited time, said to be the equivalent of around 23kW (32hp) of extra engine power over a complete Nordschleife lap. This electrical power can be automatically activated through use of the throttle pedal or can be activated manually for overtaking.

The electric flywheel accumulator, with its rotor spinning up to 40,000 rpm and storing energy mechanically as rotational energy, is now housed with the other hybrid components in a carbon-fibre safety cell on the passenger’s side.


The increased output of the electric motors has allowed the 4.0-litre flat-six engine driving the rear wheels to be de-rated to 465hp and optimised with respect to fuel consumption.

“In many aspects, version 2.0 of the 911 GT3 R Hybrid is a completely new car,” says Joerg Bergmeister, one of the three drivers. “It’s always a good sign when a new car reaches the finish line at its first race outing.”